Monday, March 30, 2009

The Clock Is Ticking

ProfessorDarius
It seems like every time I post I have involved myself in some other experience foreign to me. I guess this is the point of my trip though right. What have I gotten myself into this time?... I just found a job teaching English in a small town right outside of Madrid. Aside from community service, I have never had the opportunity to work with children in this capacity. Thus far, I have worked with students aging from 3-12. At those ages, I thought kids were cute and harmless….Well let me just say that I was in for a rude awakening on my FIRST day of work. When I arrived at the school, all of the kids were intrigued by how tall I am. At that point I thought I’d easily be able to control a classroom being that had so much interest in this giant nuevo profesor. I think they were just putting on an act. The following example of how they behave comes from a 3 and 4 year old class that I had. For the first 2 or 3 minutes of class the kids were like little angels listening to everything I had to say. They must have been plotting how they were going to destroy the classroom. Seconds later it seemed like the classroom quickly turned into a mad house. As soon as I began trying to teach them about animals, they decided to start acting like….well…animals. The entire class thought it would be a great idea to stand on top of their desks and jump off as if they were the birds we were discussing. My 7-8 year old class was even more chaotic. At this age they have developed a more sophisticated level of evil LOL. One boy loved to use his new found knowledge of sarcasm to make jokes. I could also see another girl beginning to emerge as the classroom bully. I had to stop her from putting a classmate into a Hulk Hogan like headlock. In both classes the kids decided to have a track meet inside the classroom… Oh and one question. How come kids have to go to the bathroom every 5 seconds, and all at once? LOL I cannot properly explain the craziness of that day, but if you have ever seen Arnold Schwarzenegger in the movie “Kindergarten Cop” you’d understand exactly the type of mischief I was up against. My Spanish has gotten better, but it probably sounds a lot like the way he speaks English. Like Arnold, I’m about 10 times the size of all the little kids, but these fearless little creatures still think they can take me on. As you can see, the Terminator and I have a lot in common.



As crazy as my initial experience has been, I love working the children and I am really enjoying spending time with them. During periods of chaos I would have loved to throw one of those little devils out of the window LOL (I’m joking). However, it is impossible to remain irritated with them when they run up to you the next day excited to be in your class. It is becoming much easier to get my classes under control so that I can effectively teach the students. I feel great when I observe the students learning more and more each day. I try to do as much as possible to help them to shed the heavy Spanish accent. In all seriousness, most of the kids are well mannered. I learned that as a teacher you just have to learn to help them to control all of the pent up energy they have. They are also helping me to learn more Spanish. Kids are some of the best actors when you need them to mimic the meaning of a word.

In Other News

As you all know, I applied for KPMG Global Audit Training and the Yale Pre-MBA Leadership Program. Both programs were stacked with extremely talented people from around the world. Unfortunately, I did not make the cut for the KPMG Global Audit Training, which would have allowed me to do 2 weeks of job training in Greece. I’d be lying if I said that I was not disappointed to hear the news. However, I am honored to have the opportunity to apply and be considered for the program. With that said…Know that I have already gone back to the drawing board to refine my strengths and improve on my weaknesses. The next time another opportunity like this is presented; rest assured that you will not see the same applicant that applied for this program. I’ll be back KPMG! And when that time comes, I’ll be equipped with new and enhanced abilities.

Now for the good news! Last week I was informed that I have been accepted into the Yale Pre-MBA Leadership Program. Sixty candidates worldwide were selected to take part in this program, which focuses on developing business and leadership skills. It is also centered around developing participants’ ability to have a positive impact on the community. I can only imagine the number of impressive applications that the selection board had to choose from. Given the exceptional talent pool, I am very grateful to be one of the candidates selected to benefit from this opportunity. During the program, we will be taught the basics of many business school subjects. Participants will also have the opportunity to network amongst each other, Yale School of Management faculty and alumni, and current MBA students. The program has also planned trips to the New York Stock Exchange and various corporations. Lastly, we’ll receive one-on-one training to improve our presentation skills and job market skills. I’m ready!!!

*Special thanks to Derrick Tillman-Kelly, Nicole Davis, and Professor Gerald Olson for assisting me in the application process!

Decisions Decisions
The end of the month has come!!! I have reached a point in my adventures abroad where I have come to a crossroad. This crossroad has caused me to do a great deal of self-reflection and prioritizing in my life. As you may already know, I have 2 major decisions that I must make before the end of the month. 1. Stay in Spain… 2. Return to the US… I’ll be honest; this is probably THE hardest decision I have ever had to make. You’ll see why in a second. As you will soon read, there is a great deal of risk involved in my decision (more than I have ever experienced to this point). Now, I have already made the decision, but I’m going to walk you through my thought process.

What Is My Current Status?
As I sit here typing away, I continue to live with my host family here in Madrid. I came to Madrid with an acute understanding of the Spanish language. I have now advanced to an intermediate level in both speaking and reading the language. I have developed many relationships with people all over the world (from China to Brazil). What is my current financial position?... Well, after paying this months rent, I have about 50 Euros to my name to last for the rest of the month (as I’m typing there is about 9 days left). As I said before, I found work teaching English to children from 3-12 years old. I am paid hourly and payday is at the end of the month in Spain (as opposed to twice/month). The amount of hours I will receive is based on the demand for English teachers. I begin career at KPMG in October, which gives me 6 months to do who knows whatever my resources allow.

Stay in Madrid? (The Risk)
With only 50 Euros in my wallet, the risks are obvious! Rent is over 10 times what I have now. Breakfast and dinner are included (as well as other perks), which leaves lunch as the only meal that I have to find on my own. I would have to rid myself of the safety net I had with my return flight home that I had previously purchased. I’ll have to purchase a new ticket with money that I hope will be available in the future. As you can see much of my risk is related to financial resources. Also, I am putting all of my eggs in one basket with my current teaching job. As I said, the hours depend on the demand for English teachers. Given the harsh economic environment we live in today (worse in Spain), the demand is not nearly as high as before. I am a newer professor of English, which means it’ll be a little tougher for me to make as much money. So to sum it all up, by remaining in Madrid, I’m risking not having enough money to feed myself, a place to sleep, and the ability to return back to the US. Basically, I could be out on the streets in a foreign country!

Just Stop While I’m Ahead? (The Safe Choice)
Whether or not I decide to go home, I’m still going to be broke in either place LOL. However, by returning home I know that I’ll at least have a roof over my head and a couple of meals to get me through the day. (Side note: In effort to save money, I have been eating ham sandwiches and chips for lunch every day. Currently, I’m on my 40th day with this meal, no joke). Obviously, with 6 months left until I begin my career in accounting, I will have to find a job to cover my living expenses until October. There is no more freeloading after college (well not in my house at least). I’ll return with greater language skills and experience living within another country. I can turn on the TV and understand everything that is said. I can see all of my family and friends that I miss being with. I would probably join Toastmasters’ and take the GMAT (two other goals that I would enjoy working toward). Moreover, I can relax and live comfortably for awhile without living life on the edge every minute of the day.

What Am I Going To Do (The Analysis)
Here is the part of my thought process that helped me to gain a better understanding of myself. In an earlier post I talked about how I was smart enough to ensure that all of my risks were calculated. Well…it is no different this time. I have weighed the positives, negatives, and the potential for disaster in both decisions (which are a lot higher than I would like). On paper, going home is clearly the safer and healthier decision…And trust me, it is extremely tempting. After reading my previous posts and learning more about me, I’m sure that by now you can guess the decision that I have come to. I would love to return to the comfort of my home…But this truth is America, I have some unfinished business. Before coming to Spain, I dreamt of experiencing and living a new style of life. This includes learning the customs, speaking the language, being involved in cultural activities, and developing new relationships. I have been presented with an amazing opportunity that will allow me to see my dreams through… During a serious conversation with a friend I was asked, “How far would you go to see your dreams through?” My answer – “If you want to know how far I would go to see my dreams come true, I could tell you, or you could just look this way and see for yourself.” So at the end of my analysis, I was able to sum up everything into a few questions. What was I more willing to sacrifice? My comfort? Or my dreams?

Last Minute Items!!!
*About three weeks ago I went to a town by the name of Toledo. It is the old capitol city of Spain. I saw some of the most unique architecture and landscaping ever. Unfortunately, I have not figured out how to upload a photo album onto my blog. If anyone how to do this, could you please let me in on the secret? Until then, I'll just load the photos to my facebook account.

*Recently, I went to see an Arabic orchestra playing in some fancy building (forgot the name). It was a very interesting experience. After the orchestra finished playing, my roommate and I (along with 2 new friends) wandered into a VIP dining area. What's funny is that apparently the only reason we didn't get kicked out is because they thought I was Arab. I was wondering why all of the waiters kept speaking to me a language that obviously wasn't Spanish. So far people have guessed that I am Dominican, Arab, African, and Columbian. No one has guessed American yet (before I begin speaking).

*Two weeks ago I went to one of the most amazing events I have ever been to in my life, Las Fallas de Valencia. It was definitely one of the top 2 experiences I’ve ever had. Because it was so special, I will be making a special post for the event to give you an idea of what I experienced (I’m still a little speechless). Here’s a picture of what’s to come!


As always, I invite your comments! Thank you for tuning in once again.

-InternationalDarius
Email: internationaldarius@yahoo.com

1 comment:

  1. As always your blogs are entertaining...

    Sooo I can def relate to your teacher story. I teach Spanish to kids between the ages of 5 and 13 and at first, I also had a hard time getting them under control. Like you said, it does get better and now I love it! (goin on 2 yrs now) The trick is keep them busy at ALL times. When kids are bored they will find ways to entertain themselves, haha. Stick with it, I'm sure you are doing great!

    So you decided to stay in Spain?. If so, I totally think you made the right choice. You're a creative guy, I'm sure you can figure out another way to make money (aka club jobs). And what's the worse that can happen? So you end up stuck in Spain for a bit. At least it'll make for a VERY interesting blog. Remember, jamon y pan is a poor man's dream! good luck!

    ReplyDelete